Kaylin is amazing to say the least....
I took her to the doctor yesterday because she had been complaining of abdominal pains for about five days, a constant pain with on again off again sharp pains. Yesterday, the pain was intense enough that she asked me to please come and get her from school. That is a red flag with Kay. So, not wanting to take any chances since we have had two friends' daughters whose appendix have burst, I took her in. The pediatrician sent us straight to the ER to rule out appendix.
Here is our ER visit.
Amazing, we were triaged and back in a room in a matter of ten minutes. I was optimistic that this might be a sign of how quick we would find out what was going on. No, should have known better...I think ER stands for Extremely Relaxed, as that seemed to be the pace things were going at. Of course, as a parent, I am sure that nothing is fast enough when your child doesn't feel well.
Kaylin was hooked up to an IV and given some Morphine within half an hour. She handled it really well. She remembers the entire ER visit and not once did she fall asleep. The morphine did take the edge off enough so she could relax and not hurt. Doctor #1 was a nice guy who ordered all of Kaylin's test. He left and Doctor #2 joined us...she was not so nice. She told Kaylin it might be gas. Kaylin did not like that comment and when she left looked at me and said, "I think she went to medical school at UNLV, because she doesn't know what she is talking about if she thinks this is gas." I was trying hard not to laugh but a smile must have been on my face because Kaylin then told me, "Mom, I am not smiling, this is not a laughing matter." I could blame the morphine, but that is such a Kaylin remark.
By this time they had taken Kaylin and her bladder full of an IV bag and 32 ounces of die/juice that she had to drink in case they needed to do a Cat Scan. She liked the ultra sound tech and even had a conversation with her. That's our Kaylin. I grabbed a quick bite at the cafeteria, called Rich gave him an update, and headed back to the PED ER.
Lucky for us Doctor #2 left and Doctor #3 joined us. He was better than Doc #2 but not near as nice as Doc #1. Ultra sound didn't show enough so, Kaylin was off to CAT Scan. She got a the room to laugh, when they put her on the table and she said, "Ooh fancy machine." Always our happy girl.
By this time the ER waiting room was so full of sick people, I was grateful that we had arrived when we did. We had to give up our room for a five week old baby that had 103 fever and bad flu like symptoms. If you saw the parents, you would have wanted to knock them in the head for waiting to that point to bring that poor baby in.
But, back to my child....we got the results that Kaylin has an ovarian cyst. It is at least partially ruptured as they could see blood on the CAT Scan. Kaylin was so glad to know that she had something wrong. It is so hard to see your child suffer and then have her tell you that she thinks that the doctors think she is making it up. A diagnosis gave her peace that she knows her body and knew something wasn't right.
We are so grateful that it wasn't anything worse, but are sad to still see her not feeling up to par. Having had ovarian cysts myself, I say she is one amazing trooper! So, I am off to the pharmacy now to grab her some pain meds so she can be comfortable while we wait for the final burst, which will hurt more than anything, but than things will start to feel so much better as her body heals.
4 comments:
I love you Kay...you are a trooper!!!! MUAH
Kaylin, you are awesome! I have been through the exact same thing with several hospital visits as a teen and the first time it happened, I had a doctor tell me it was probably just gas. lol. It felt great to prove them wrong.
Just take care of yourself. You'll be fine.
Aw so sorry!!! I have had those non stop every 2 weeks not so fun!! That was why on top of endometrosis I had full hysterectomy! What a brave girl!!! WAY TO GO!!! :)
That just sounds painful...hope she feels better soon!
Post a Comment