Welcome


Rich, Kim, Kaylin, Maren, Jocie Bel, and Blake

Thursday, February 5, 2009

One of the Biggest Scrares of My Life

Today, I had one of the biggest scares in my life. Let me explain:

7:30am--Kaylin leaves to go to school. She is going to make up a choir assignment and then is walking home before school starts so we can go to the dentist.

7:45am--I get a text from Kaylin "Mom come get me now."

7:46am--Another text from Kaylin "Mom don't come there is a guy with a guy."

7:47am--Another text "Mom what do I do?"

7:47am and 30 secs--I am out the door on the way to the middle school.

We live behind the school, so I had to drive down the side to the front entry. On the side road I see two snipers. Yes, snipers...at this point my heart is beating so hard. Turn the corner, three more snipers, a helicopter and about 10 police cars. Now, I am really starting to panic. I see that kids are still entering the school, so I ask one of the snipers (Yes, I really did) what was going on.

He told me there was a situation in the neighborhood across from the school and he was their to protect the school. He confirmed the kids were fine and their was no threat to the students. Still my heart is pounding. Since I am right here and Kaylin needs to leave to go to the dentist, I try to go pull her from school. The principal informs me if I enter the the school I have to stay at the school. Not going to work, I left Maren at home with the twins. She told me the kids were fine and that when the lock down was over I could get Kaylin.

I have to say I had flashbacks to Columbine and could only imagine what those parents went through during that ordeal. I knew my child was safe and alive, they didn't know that. What a scary day.

8:30am--I drive Maren to school. Kaylin text that lock down is over.

9:00am--We are at the dentist.

So, now life is back to normal. When I know exactly what the details are on the situation I will post. For now...I only know it was a "situation"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said "welcome to Vegas" very sad huh!?! And crazy!!
Duane has had two students shot and killed this yr. Just be glad you don't know all that happens in ALL these schools all over Vegas, and Henderson etc like I do everyday. It is SCARY!! It is hard having someone you love work in the district here. Stuff that goes on us unbelievable!
I am glad they are ok!! We have been on lock down as well not fun and scary! I totally know what you mean when you're heart is pounding!! I have had my hubby in very bad situations as well and that is so scary! Luckily same thing so far been situations in the neighborhood.
Sorry u had to go through that today! :(

And I laugh because we are house hunting and here for awhile! Hmm...

Maren said...

Tell Kaylin that I Love her! I am sorry you guys had to go through that. that has to be so hard. I can't imagine. when I read you facebook status I wanted to pee my pants...I was going to call but figured you probably had more then enough people calling you!! Love you guys