Henderson, where we live is not a very diverse area. When we moved here from Texas, the girls were shocked with the lack of diversity in their classes. They were able to see, at even a young age, that diversity brings different cultural, spiritual, and social experiences into their lives. However, the twins, moving here at such a young age, are very unaware of different ethnicities.
One of Jocie's favorite shows is Strawberry Shortcake on the HUB. It is a great a show that teaches about friendship, working together, and caring about each other. All the characters on the show happen to be white except one, Orange Blossom is African American. Today, the twins were playing on HUBworld.com on the computer and Blake was very excited that he found Jocie the Strawberry Shortcake game on there to play.
The game was to pick one of the characters and choose matching outfits for her. (Ok, now here is the part that yes, I laughed at.)
Conversation
Blake: "Jocie which one do you want, Strawberry?"
Jocie: "Um, no I think I want the Chocolate one."
Me: "Jocie do you mean, Orange Blossom?"
Jocie: "Yes, she has the chocolate skin."
I think it is time for a little lesson on why we all have different color skins and how we are all beautiful. I can see Kaylin in Kindergarten happening all over again. Oh, if you don't know that story email me...I'll share that one with you.
3 comments:
I did not know Orange Blossom was from New Orleans, the chocolate city (I am just quoting their former mayor). That is way funny. You need to move back to Texas, quickly!!
That is too funny! My kids call my mom the black grandma and my mother in law the white grandma. It all has to do with the color of their hair. Kids say some of the funniest things.
We really need to get together sometime. So if you come to Utah let me know and we can try and work something out!
:D so cute!!!
Post a Comment