Welcome


Rich, Kim, Kaylin, Maren, Jocie Bel, and Blake

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Aero-Space Camp

Maren and I took off on a "luxury" bus on Monday for Idyllwild, California heading straight for Aero-Space Camp. We took off for three days of space adventures along with 40 other GATE students from Henderson.
Maren rode "in style" borrowing Kaylin's I-Pod to watch movies on the ride up to camp.

Yes, that is a ride up to 6000 ft elevation camp. (This is a picture from the bus half way up the mountain.) It was a curvy, stomach turning ride up the mountain.

Each student had to carry their own luggage to their dorm. Of course, some how I ended up carrying both Maren and my stuff.

Orientation kicked off our day. Maren was excited that she was rooming with Natalie and Chloee.


The kids experienced a mission to mars. They had to learn facts about Mars before they could explore the red planet. These were awesome touch screen computers that the kids had a fun time using.

Once the kids had learned a new and interesting fact about Mars, they shared their knowledge with their camp counselor where they landed on Mars.

The kids "explored" Mars' rocky surface. Yes, they rock climbed. Maren did the first course in about 10 seconds, so she was moved on to harder terrain.

This one was a little more challenging but she reached the top again.

Next, was orientation for Micro-Gravity Class. The kids had to build a communication satellite while floating in a pool and breathing through a snorkel. They were taught hand signals to communicate since in space their is no sound.

The first thing was getting on the wet suits. Maren was a pro at this! They did give her a size a little bigger than what she needed. According to Maren, it was so big that it made it harder to float! I don't have anymore pictures of this as I had to do some chaperon duties.

Chloee and Natalie watching Maren shoot off her rocket.

Maren's group and their counselor, Dave Dude!

The view from the top of the day hike that we went on.

Maren on the trail of our hike. She was one of the few smiling since she listened and brought her water bottle!

The Cat Walk, 40 ft up in the air. The counselors told Maren if she was really brave she would walk on it backwards.

I put these on backwards...Maren walking on the Cat Walk.

Maren climbing up to the cat walk...she is half way there.

Here she is coming down! That was the fun part.

Maren and some of her Class Mates holding up their rockets before launching them. They made rockets out of 2 litter soda bottles.

Maren setting her rocket up on the launch pad.

Next, they had to add the fuel, water, to the rocket. Then came the countdown 3-2-1-BLAST OFF!!
Her rocket came apart, but not before shooting up to it's apex (the highest point before coming down) of 84 feet!

Off to the zip line! Thumbs up from me! It was awesome. I had flashbacks to the Hayes' pulley in the backyard.

The girls after their zip experience.

Maren and Chloee had to go together because they each weighed less than 100lbs. By doing this, they were able to make it all the way to the platform.

I think their faces pretty much sum up how much fun they had!
We had a great time, but are both glad to be home with the family! If you have the chance, chaperon one of your kids big adventures. It is a blast!!

5 comments:

Holli said...

Wow! That's incredible! Way to go Maren!

Kyle said...

That looks so awesome! I am jealous. I bet Maren had a great time.

Anonymous said...

That looks so fun!! Duane would be in Heaven!

Rondi said...

Maren has no fear whatsoever. I am so proud of her. And what fun!!! I am glad she got to go.

Melinda said...

What a fun trip!! We loved going camping in Idyllwild when we lived down that way, it's beautiful!! Nice break for you!!