Welcome


Rich, Kim, Kaylin, Maren, Jocie Bel, and Blake

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Setting the Record Straight

The other day at a Young Women's meeting, I made the mistake of saying that I could do without Halloween. The looks of shock that were directed at me made me laugh. So, I have decided to let you know why I could by pass the 31st of October.
  1. Cost. It cost to much money for the garbage candy that your kids get. The money that you spend on costumes and candy for other people's kids could buy much better candy than you come home with. If you are going to take the time to hand out candy...make sure it is something that you would eat. Suggestions: M&Ms, Kit Kats, Mounds, Skittles.
  2. Costume Creativity. Whatever happen to going to the store and picking your costume out. You went home opened the box, in it was a plastic costume that you put on like a hospital gown and a mask (which we never wore). How is easy is that. Now, you have to think for months on what your kid will be. It has to be cute and it usually involves way to much work and effort.
  3. Pumpkin Carving. To hard, to gross, and way to much work. You can't just let your kids draw faces on them and carve that out the best you can...no you have to use stencils and special knives or even power tools to carve it out.
  4. Teenager Trick or Treating. I don't mind this if...they dress up and if they are polite and say thank you. They think that because they come to my door with their pillow cases they are entitled to something. Hello, can you say have a Halloween party/dance with your friends? And please...don't ring my doorbell after 8pm. I have babies that do have to go to sleep and some point.

So you see, I am not really anti-Halloween, it is just one of those take it or leave it holidays for me. Now, Thanksgiving, yum, and Christmas well, I absolutely love the Holiday Season.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I am right there with you Kim! I may have to copy your post onto my blog. J/K My girls know they are not allowed to trick or treat once they turn 13. Thought about a party this year, then thought again. The candy is another issue, but if dental bills come into the picture, that's where it's frustrating. We try to pay our kids for their candy, which has worked, and they like the money. Another expense, but avoids other problems later.