Kaylin was so excited last Friday when she found out that after sight reading audition, she had made the All Girl Advanced Choir at her new Middle School. She was ready for her schedule to change so that she could attend her new class. Tuesday came, and no change, but with the promise that she would have a new schedule in hand Wednesday morning. Again today, Nada! In fact, Kaylin was told that she was not approved for a schedule change because of classes that were too full. Needless to say, Kaylin was so upset and called me crying during her lunch. I promised her that I would get this resolved. Those of you who know me, when I say I am going to do something I get 'er done!
I go to the office after having already been there yesterday to discuss another problem. Well, lets address that one. Kaylin came home the other day with her Science Syllabus. There was a little chuckle in her voice when she told me that this is everything that she had learned last year. I asked her if she was sure and she reminded me of the different projects that she did on many of the key points to learn this year. So, I talked with the counselor about maybe coming up with some options for Kaylin so that she didn't have to sit through a repeat of science this year. Nothing was really accomplished, and I left pretty much deciding that I would address this with the teacher and go from there.
So today, I am back at the same counselor's office and ask her why she won't change Kaylin's schedule. She tells me that they don't like to change kids schedules because sometimes they can't handle change? For those who know Kaylin, change is something that she has handled very well. I told the counselor that I am demanding that her schedule be changed so that she can participate in Choir. She is already going to repeat science at least give the child one thing that will make her happy.
Her next statement to me brought out the mom rath in me. She tells me, "The problem with your daughter is that she is in all advanced classes." I stopped her right then and said, "Is that really a problem?" She corrected her self and said, it is difficult to find classes to meet her schedule needs.
With a little persistence and making her aware of my decision that this was going to get changed today, she did change the schedule. And after finally looking up her report card from last year, decided that we need to set up a time to discuss with the science teacher if putting Kaylin in eighth grade science would be the right choice for her.
So More to come...but I have decided that we need a National Curriculum for every grade in the United States. Moves now a days force us to new states and with each state setting up their own guidelines for each grade, we are finding that our kids are ahead in somethings and right on level in others. Wouldn't it be nice if you had to move that you knew that your child would be able to take the classes that they were taking in another state?
Soap Box time is over. I will keep you posted on the outcome of Kaylin's Science Dilemma.
2 comments:
You go, Kim! Kaylin does not need to waste her time re-learning things and being without choir. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.
If they continue to squelch my granddaughter's talents and intelligence, you just let me know. Look out Vegas. Kaylin's family is on a rampage.
Kaylin belongs in choir. My solution to the problem is this--let her repeat her science class which takes off a lot of the pressure of "all advanced classes". Therefore she will be more relaxed to take choir. Can't the dummy counselor figure that out?
Post a Comment